Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hawaiian Vacation!

About that vacation I mentioned?  Yeah, Hawaii.  To be more specific?  Kauaii!!

To be perfectly honest, I've never been all that interested in a vacation to Hawaii.  First of all, as an east coast resident for most of my life, it was too far away.  I mean, I could get to London easier than I could get to Hawaii.  And I'm not a beach bum...not by a long shot.  So a vacation to 'sit on a beach' didn't appeal to me either.  My husband is the same way so even though we got married in March which is a perfect time of year for tropical vacations, we went to the Canadian Rockies for our honeymoon!

But, with the extended stay dog training on the docket, we were in the market for a trip that would be fairly easy to make on short notice.  Now that we live on the west coast, two locations came up - Hawaii and Cabo.  Both are fairly inexpensive (relatively) to get to from here and both had availability in June.  After some comparison shopping (and stumbling on some photos of Kauai), I decided on Hawaii.

Kauai is gorgeous and looks quite wild.  Think of that scene in Jurassic Park where they are descending in the helicopter near the waterfall - that is in Kauai!!  Once I started to look at activities on all the islands, Kauai quickly rose to the top of my list.  Hiking, kayaking, ziplines, horseback riding.... The terrain is unbelievable and really, the only thing it is missing is hot lava (which I'm not all that concerned with seeing anyway).

We are staying at a hotel in an ocean-view room fairly near the middle of the island so that we can easily get to all areas.  We've reserved a helicopter ride, a sea kayaking trip to the cliffs of Na'Pali, a zipline tour and a luau.  We will also do quite a bit of hiking on our own and perhaps some river kayaking as well.  And I must swim in a waterfall.  I must.

I've also ordered this camera to take with me so that I can take tons of gorgeous photos to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment