Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Simplicity - Our Journey Continues

Since it's been more than three years since I last posted, much has happened (as would be expected!).  I've decided to begin blogging regularly again because I have created a new challenge for myself, and I'd like a place to document the journey.  This new challenge starts October first, so I have about a week to get 'my readers' (*snicker*...like I have any anymore!) up to date and to lay the groundwork for what will be happening.

But first, a bit of a recap:

Our trip to Kauai was fabulous...a trip of a lifetime...particularly the sea kayaking down the Na'Pali coast.  That was not something either of us will forget, ever.  Truly spectacular!  My photos truly did not do it justice!

During the second half of 2013, I re-joined Leanness Lifestyle (now called Leanness Lifestyle University) and lost most of the weight I wanted to lose.  My recent weight/nutrition journey is a whole post in and of itself, so in the meantime, suffice it to say that I'm up about 10 lbs from my lowest but still feeling great.  My body size will play a role in my upcoming challenge, so there will be more on that to come.

In May of 2014, Rick shattered his lower left leg in a slow-motion motorcycle crash in the woods of south western Oregon.  Surgery one was May 18th to have an external fixator attached to his leg.  Three weeks on the couch (literally) in prep for surgery two on June 5th.  I was tasked with a LOT of home-care for this poor guy over the following few months.  To say 'it was a challenge' just does not do either of us justice. But we made it through.

2014 was the year from hell at work, too.  That horrific word 'busy' doesn't even begin to describe it.  End result, was a job change in the spring of 2016.  I've left my role as the University Program Manager for my company (which also went through a crazy merger in that time-frame) and now I'm back on the technical side of things as a program manager for our R&D organization.  I am much happier in this role, despite the inevitable challenges that come with any new position.

2015 included a long recovery for Rick, another trip to Hawaii for both of us (Maui, this time), ridiculous work hours and travel for me, nowhere near enough biking, hiking, kayaking or running as we'd like and all of this prompted an overwhelming desire to regain some control over our lives.

In July of 2015, I did my first total closet clean out and spent the next three months with only 47 pieces of clothing in my closet (not including underwear or athletic wear).  It was an interesting challenge for me and one that I repeated with each of the following quarters - allowing for one 'change-over' the first week of each quarter to switch out a few items as needed for seasonal changes and variety.  It was a fun way to do a little simplifying during an insanely busy time and one that actually helped me feel more in control when I desperately needed it.  there will be more information on this in posts to come as well.

2016 has been a whirlwind so far.  As I already mentioned - I made a major job change in the first few months of the year.  We also saw the staggeringly devastating loss of our sweet dog, Maggie.  As much as life is easier with just two dogs, Maggie was something special and we miss her daily still...

Rick and I joined our local Orange Theory Fitness studio in March of 2016 and have been more consistent about going to those workouts than any fitness-related thing either of us has done in over a decade! It's been great fun doing this together.  He's benefited from the all-around workouts (not just weight lifting) and I'm benefiting from the motivation I get from seeing results.  Plus, it's fun (most of the time)!

This past May, I had surgery to remove pterygium (Surfer's Eye or sun damaged tissue) from my left eye.  The healing process was the single most annoying thing I've ever felt. But one eye is as good as new, now.  Pterygium is likely a remnant from my days of 80's tans with no sunscreen and years of living in the south and hardly ever wearing sunglasses.  Remember to wear your sunglasses, boys and girls!  Surgery on the right eye is in two weeks.  As much as I dread it, I'm excited to have both eyes done so that they can heal and I can get updated glasses.  My Rx is clearly off but until I'm through this, new glasses would be a waste because this affects my vision in varying ways.

And at the end of August, Rick changed jobs, too.  For him, the change was from a very, very large company, (Intel fully absorbed McAfee in 2015) to a much smaller one.  He's been in this new role for less than a month and so far, so good. We have high hopes!  If nothing else, he is looking forward to supporting products and a company that he believes in and that's always a big improvement.

I think that brings us up to date since my last posting.  Nothing like covering 3 years worth of life in a few paragraphs, huh?

We still have plans for early retirement. In fact, we've been shopping for land, off and on, for awhile now.  I think the plan will be to buy some property (hopefully on a lake) and build an off-grid tiny home (and a tiny barn for tiny goats!).    But...we aren't there yet.  Life continues with dual incomes, still living by a budget, working on retirement savings and watching the value of our home virtually skyrocket.  It's insane but we aren't complaining.  We are also trying to simplify.  I can't say we'll ever get to true minimalism, but we definitely want to work in that direction.

My challenge starting October 1 will be our next step down that path.

No comments:

Post a Comment