Friday, January 20, 2017

The Urge to Buy

In short...I still have it.  As much as I love having less in my closet and in my life, I still find myself wanting to buy new clothing (or...new to me).  Part of this is boredom at work and part of it is advertisements.  In fact, those two reasons are really tied together.  If I wasn't bored at work, I wouldn't be online and seeing ads!

This morning was a great example of why I'm doing this challenge.  For whatever reason, I woke up super tired today so I barely dragged myself out of bed in time to get my morning routine done.  I had not planned an outfit or even thought about it.  After I took the dogs out, made breakfast and packed my lunch, I jumped in the shower.  When I got out, I just started to grab clothing - jeans, boots, black turtleneck, knit scarf, hoop earrings and then topped it off with my black rain coat and off to work I go.  As I was walking into my office building, I thought to myself "I like my look today".  A look that I just tossed together. THAT is why a capsule wardrobe is so awesome!  Because I like everything I own and it all goes together (for the most part), I can grab and go and still look fabulous (or more importantly, FEEL fabulous)!

On the buying front, I almost succumbed to temptation and bought a scarf at Banana Republic.  It's the perfect scarf for me and my current wardrobe, but I left it in my virtual cart and thought about it for a day or two and then I deleted it.  I don't NEED it.  I just don't.  That said, I did notice that I have a $50 credit on my account at BR that will expire in April.  While that could have been considered a 'waste', I actually used it to buy something for my husband for valentine's day.  Unlike me, his wardrobe could use some help...it's mostly just sweatpants and t-shirts.  The result of working from home for the past 9 years!

In the past couple of days, I've set aside three more things to remove from my wardrobe.  Two scarves that I just don't wear (one is a bad color for me now that my hair is natural/silver, and one no longer goes with anything in my wardrobe) and a sleeveless white T.  I put the T on to use as a layer yesterday and saw that the material around the neck is literally shredding.  That T was purchased when I worked for the Gap...circa 1993!  No wonder it's literally falling apart.  If I can find a replacement, I'm giving myself permission to buy it as this was a staple in my wardrobe.  The scarves will go to Goodwill.

No comments:

Post a Comment