Monday, January 16, 2017

Gifts, old and new


The end of Dec and first few days of January afforded me a bunch of time off which was very welcome.  I've been less than thrilled with my situation at work, so it's nice to get a break to recharge my brain and get my mindset better aligned.  It also afforded me some time to do a bit of purging around the house!  I managed to clear out a TON of random junk from my drawer in the bathroom and from under my sink.  I also did some purging from a few places in the kitchen and goodwill benefited in the form of some cook wear!

For Christmas, my husband gifted me with a new wool zip jacket, a new scarf and a pair of new boots. All three items have served to help me 'freshen' my wardrobe a bit and allows for some new outfit looks.  Just what I needed as I felt my resolve to not buy anything weaken in the wake of major holiday sale prices.  50% off everything!!! (eye roll)

In the process of purging, I stumbled upon a gift card to Banana Republic in a dresser drawer.  I only vaguely remembered putting it there for 'safe keeping'.  When I looked it up on their website, I discovered it was valued at $500!  I think I received this as a birthday or Christmas gift a few years back while I was in the midst of a weight loss challenge, so I set it aside to spend once I'd reached my goals.  It was then forgotten...  Admittedly I briefly contemplated spending it since it was a gift back in the day but that kind of defeats the purpose of this challenge.  I've tucked it into my wallet (where I am less likely to forget about it!) and I'll not spend it until after Oct 1, 2017.  I'm thinking I'll likely use it to replace things that will be worn out by then...that seems to be the trend.

I am still donating one thing for each day that passes, but I will say, it's getting more challenging!

Easy donations: four sweatshirts, sweat pants, camel pea coat, four sports bras, two sports bra tops, two pairs of shorts, a pair of tights, three tech t's (from races), four t-shirts, and two pair of yoga pants.

Harder donations (things I still like but that I have to admit that I am just not wearing):

Sorel boots - bought these for a recruiting trip to Maine a few years back (in Nov).  They are just too warm for around here - my feet sweat!  I do appreciate how comfy they are though...

















little black dress - my mom gave me this a couple of years ago.  It was hers and she never wore it and since it fit me, I thought it would be a good basic to have.  I've never worn it so it's time to go.  Still has tags!!














flannel from Madewell - cute black and white basic flannel that fits me great.  I've worn it once or twice but I feel weird in it.  It's just not me.  Not truly my look and it's obvious when I have it on.  Someone else will make much better use of it.














wool jacket from jcrew - I bought this from thredup last year.  It's the exact same style as a black blazer I already have and LOVE but it's not the same fabric.  This one is much heavier weight and I just don't wear it.  The one I love is fast wearing out but unless I can find an exact duplicate, I'll likely wear it until it's rags!













funky moto jacket from Banana Republic - bought this in Vegas last year.  Loved it there.  Got it home and it just feels too flashy for the real world. It's also too big in the body for me, so I don't feel like it's flattering.  I still adore it, I just don't adore it on me. Letting it go...















wool wrap from Neve - this is the hardest one of all to donate.  I LOVE this wrap. It's gorgeous, soft and it looks great on me...I just don't wear it.  It's really hard to wear a big soft wrap to work because 1, it's hot in my building on the second floor and 2, there is no way to wear a coat over it (because of how it wraps).  Love it in theory (and in the mirror) but in practice, it's just not working for me.












All of the pictured items will to go www.thredup.com so at least they'll earn me some credit and ultimately go to someone who really wants and appreciates them (instead of ending up in some bargain bin somewhere!).  I just noticed that there is a definite theme to the items I like...all black, white and/or grey.  You should see the remainder of my closet!  Its that a bad thing?  When I truly weed out my closet and curate it down to my favorite pieces...they are mostly black, white or grey.  Oh well, it is what it is...

I also stumbled upon my old Bates Rugby jacket that I'll likely not wear again any time soon, but I just can't bear to part with it...not yet, anyway.

These all bring me up to date as of next Saturday, 1/21/17.  I'll be out of town the 23rd - 27th, so if I can't get to more donations before then, they'll have to wait until I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment