Monday, November 21, 2016

Digging into the drawers

When I did my first closet purge (and subsequent capsule wardrobe) more than 18 months ago, I focused on clothing and shoes.  I really didn't pay too much attention to accessories because I tend to dress simply. A few scarves here and there, a belt out of necessity, simple jewelry...  I use the same purse every day and I only change it out seasonally (mostly because it rains all winter and I don't like using open-top leather bags in that situation).  When it was time to simplify and cut my over-spending habit, accessories were low priority.

I wear the same black leather belt almost every day. It's actually reversible, so even when black isn't right for the outfit, light brown/tan often is.  And because I've got big legs and plenty of 'back' but a small waist, all of my jeans and most of my dress pants require belts.  Every night when I get undressed, I roll up my belt and tuck it into one of the top drawers in my dresser.  There is a cute pink dyed snakeskin belt in the same drawer that I bought for one particular outfit that I notice each night.  And before I started this challenge, I bought a second black leather/silver buckle belt to tide me over because mine is looking worn.  That one also is in the same drawer.  There were just three belts in the forefront of my brain.

Now that I'm giving away things every day, I find myself having to go into places I never bothered cleaning before because I'm not ready to lean out my closet even more just yet!  This weekend, I opened BOTH of the top drawers of my dresser and stumbled upon a belt mecca!  I guess I knew that I had a lot of them that I'd been pretending were not there, but I didn't realize how many were still left after the house-moving purge 4 years ago.  I decided on twelve that will be donated (pictured above).  The remaining 5 or so are all uniquely suited to certain outfits and until I do the big final purge of my wardrobe, they'll remain in my possession.  Once the decision is made on each of their corresponding clothing items, then I will likely be getting rid of even more belts.

This covers me until 11/15, or item #46. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment